- LL.M., Harvard Law School (2010)
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2002)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in May 2003
Voon Jiet has over two decades of experience representing multinational corporations, financial institutions, statutory boards and individuals at all levels of the Singapore Court, including as lead counsel in the High Court, International Commercial Court and Court of Appeal. He has acted as both counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations and is on the Singapore International Arbitration Centre's (SIAC) and the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association’s (JCAA) panel of arbitrators.
His disputes practice is diverse, and spans a broad spectrum of litigation and arbitration matters. These include civil disputes relating to banking and finance, commercial contracts, company law, insolvency, professional negligence, complex tort, and employment.
Voon Jiet also specialises in regulatory and corporate fraud investigations and has extensive experience in these matters across various industries, including telecommunications, media, energy, transport and finance. He has advised local and overseas entities on all aspects of such investigations, such as dawn raids, leniency applications, enforcement actions, appeals and judicial review proceedings.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 recommended Voon Jiet for dispute resolution, where he is described as “quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives.” He is also recognised by Who’s Who Legal for investigations as an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner", and “an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
Voon Jiet graduated with First Class Honours from the National University of Singapore and holds a Master of Laws from Harvard Law School.
He is presently a co-author for the Singapore Academy of Law Annual Review on Civil Procedure and has contributed to a number of prominent publications and textbooks on Singapore law.
- Joint venture dispute – Successfully defended a Singapore listed company and its founders in a claim brought by its Chinese joint venture partner for various breaches. The dispute arose from the development of an integrated winter resort in Shanghai, and involves issues of Chinese law.
- S$85 million international arbitration - Co-counsel in an international arbitration between a Singapore government-linked company and an Australian listed company in a dispute arising out of a major infrastructure project in Singapore. The dispute comprised various claims in excess of S$85 million, and involved several technical and engineering experts.
- Lead counsel in the Singapore International Commercial Court – Acted for a Dubai-based family in a dispute with a UK incorporated bank in relation to various financial and fiduciary products and services, including a universal life insurance policy. The case involves both Singapore and DIFC law.
- Investigation into corporate fraud – Acted for a Singapore listed company in respect of a fraud perpetuated in its Indian subsidiary. This included an investigation into the fraud as well as subsequent litigation in Singapore and India various parties, includingthe auditors and employees.
- First competition appeal on abuse of dominance - Acted for the ticketing service provider in an appeal against an infringement decision by the Competition Commission of Singapore regarding abuse of dominance arising from various exclusive agreements. This was the first case in Singapore involving abuse of dominance, and resulted in a landmark decision by the Competition Appeal Board.
- Defending a law firm in US$47 million professional negligence suit - Successfully defended a law firm and a senior corporate lawyer in a negligence claim arising from a complex cross-border corporate transaction involving the acquisition of an interest in an Indonesian coal mine. The claims were dismissed by the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Dispute involving mismanagement of US$200 million in investor funds – Acted for an international fund manager and venture capitalist in a dispute involving allegations by a Middle-Eastern investment group as to the mismanagement of investor funds amounting to more than US$200 million in the Cayman Islands. The allegations raised issues under both Singapore and Cayman Islands law on corporate governance and the duties of a fund manager.
- Representing a director sued for breach of fiduciary duties - Acted for the director of a private equity investment group who was sued for alleged breach of fiduciary duties. The case involved a joint venture in a New Zealand food company and concerned the validity of various securities in Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Acting for medical professional bodies in disciplinary proceedings – Represented the Singapore Medical Council, Singapore Dental Council, and Singapore Nursing Board in numerous disciplinary proceedings involving medical professionals. Many of these cases involve issues relating to professional misconduct, informed consent, medical confidentiality, and negligence in relation to both diagnosis and treatment.
- Advising a Singapore university on US proceedings for trade secret misappropriation – Acted for a Singapore University in its defence of a trade secret misappropriation claim in US Federal Court. Working closely with instructed US counsel, depositions were conducted in Singapore to facilitate the US proceedings. The claim was ultimately dismissed in its entirety.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Antitrust and Competition 2023 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Dispute Resolution 2023 – Recommended lawyer
White Collar Crime 2023 – Recommended lawyer
- ‘Chia Voon Jiet – he is very knowledgeable in his field of expertise.’
- ‘Quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives’
Who’s Who Legal
Global Leader: Investigations 2022 - Recommended for 2 consecutive years
National Leader: Southeast Asia Investigations 2023 – Recommended for 3 consecutive years
National Leader: Southeast Asia Commercial Litigation 2023 – Recommended for 2 consecutive years
Investigations Future Leaders 2020 – Ranked as an eminent lawyer under 45 in the field of investigations, anti-corruption and white-collar crime for 3 consecutive years from 2018 to 2020
Telecommunications Media & Technology 2016 – Leading Lawyer
- “Voon Jiet draws praise from market respondents who commend his expert handling of corporate fraud and regulatory investigations.”
- "He provides strong attention to detail and excellent commercial advice"
- "He has the great ability to analyse legal concerns and offer practical solutions"
- "He's an exceptional commercial litigator"
- "He has a strong regulatory focus"
- "He is a great choice for investigations thanks to his hands-on approach"
- “Voon Jiet Chia wins plaudits for his exceptional knowledge of corporate fraud and regulatory investigations.”
- Voon Jiet is hailed as an “intelligent and shrewd practitioner who is able to manage the client’s expectations effectively” and is praised for his “meticulous approach”.
- Voon Jiet is an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner" according to observers who praise his ability to handle issues ranging from corporate fraud to regulatory investigations.
- Voon Jiet is praised “for his work in competition and regulatory investigations where he is known as an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Arbitration and Mediation 2024 – Endorsed individual for 4 consecutive years
Litigation 2024 – Endorsed individual
asialaw Leading Lawyers 2022 edition
- “Understands issues very quickly. Open to listening and considers all alternatives. Explains legal basis and offers sound advice. Able to build a good rapport and we are confident he has our back.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2015 – Listed lawyer
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2023 edition)
Litigation Star – White Collar Crimes
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, SIAC Panel of Arbitrators
- Member, JCAA Panel of Arbitrators
- Member, Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Criminal Law Advisory Committee (Hearing)
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law (2020 - 2022)
- Member, Professional Values Chapter of the Singapore Academy of Law Professional Affairs Committee (2010 - 2012)
- Co-author for Singapore Academy of Law Annual Review on Civil Procedure
- Author of the “Sale of Goods” chapter in Law Relating to Specific Contracts in Singapore (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)
- Co-author of the “Investigations, Enforcement and Rights of Private Action” chapter in Competition Law and Policy in Singapore (Academy Publishing, 2009 and 2015)
- Co-author of the “Interlocutory Injunctions” chapter in Commercial Litigation in Singapore (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)