- LL.M., Harvard Law School (2010)
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2002)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in May 2003
Voon Jiet has over 17 years of experience representing multinational corporations, financial institutions, statutory boards and individuals at all levels of the Singapore Court, including as lead counsel in the High Court, International Commercial Court and Court of Appeal. He has acted as both counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations, and is one of the youngest members of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre's (SIAC) panel of arbitrators.
He has an active and diverse disputes practice spanning a broad spectrum of litigation and arbitration matters. These include civil disputes relating to banking and finance, commercial contracts, company law, insolvency, corporate fraud, complex tort, and employment.
Voon Jiet also specialises in regulatory and competition investigations, and has extensive experience in these matters across various industries, including telecommunications, media, energy, transport and finance. He has advised local and overseas entities on all aspects of such investigations, such as dawn raids, leniency applications, enforcement actions, appeals and judicial review proceedings.
The 2018 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500 recommended Voon Jiet for dispute resolution, where he is described as “quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives.” He is also recognised by Who’s Who Legal for investigations as an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner", and “an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
Voon Jiet graduated with First Class Honours from the National University of Singapore, and holds a Master of Laws from Harvard Law School.
He is presently a co-author for the Singapore Academy of Law Annual Review on Civil Procedure, and has also contributed to a number of prominent publications and textbooks on Singapore law.
- Joint venture dispute - Successfully defended a Singapore-listed company and its founders in a claim brought by its joint venture partners before the Singapore International Commercial Court. The dispute arose from the development of an integrated winter resort in Shanghai, and involves issues of Chinese law.
- Co-counsel in S$85 million international arbitration - Co-counsel in an international arbitration between a Singapore government-linked company and an Australian listed company in a dispute arising out of a major infrastructure project in Singapore. The dispute comprised various claims in excess of $85 million, and involved numerous technical experts.
- Financial products and services dispute - Acted for a Dubai-based family in a dispute with a UK incorporated bank in relation to various financial and fiduciary products and services, including a universal life insurance policy. The case involves both Singapore and DIFC law, and was heard the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- Investigation into corporate fraud - Acting for a Singapore-listed company in respect of a fraud perpetuated in its Indian subsidiary. This included an investigation into the fraud as well as subsequent litigation against various parties, such as the auditors and former employees.
- First competition appeal on abuse of dominance - Acted for the ticketing service provider in an appeal against an infringement decision by the Competition Commission of Singapore regarding abuse of dominance arising from various exclusive agreements. This was the first case in Singapore involving abuse of dominance, and resulted in a landmark decision by the Competition Appeal Board.
- Defending a law firm in US$47 million professional negligence suit - Successfully defended a law firm and a senior corporate lawyer in a negligence claim arising from a complex cross-border corporate transaction involving the acquisition of an interest in an Indonesian coal mine. The claims were dismissed by the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Dispute involving US$200 million in investor funds - Acting for an international fund manager and venture capitalist in a dispute involving allegations by a Middle-Eastern investment group as to the mismanagement of investor funds amounting to more than US$200 million in the Cayman Islands. The allegations raised issues under both Singapore and Cayman Islands law on corporate governance and the duties of a fund manager.
- Cross-border bankruptcy - Represented a major European bank in court proceedings in the United States, Switzerland and Singapore, where allegations of money-laundering, conspiracy and impropriety were made against a bank officer who had handled the account of a private banking client.
- Advising on foreign proceedings - Advised a Singapore University in its defence of a trade secret misappropriation claim in the United States Federal Court. Working together with instructed foreign counsel, depositions were conducted in Singapore to facilitate the proceedings in the United States.
- Acting for medical professional bodies in disciplinary proceedings - Representing the Singapore Medical Council and Singapore Dental Council in numerous disciplinary proceedings involving medical professionals. Many of these cases involve issues relating to professional misconduct, informed consent, medical confidentiality, and negligence in relation to both diagnosis and treatment.
Who’s Who Legal: Investigations – Future Leaders
Ranked as an eminent lawyer under 45 in the field of investigations, anti-corruption and white-collar crime for 3 consecutive years from 2018 to 2020.
- Voon Jiet is hailed as an “intelligent and shrewd practitioner who is able to manage the client’s expectations effectively” and is praised for his “meticulous approach”.
- Voon Jiet is an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner" according to observers who praise his ability to handle issues ranging from corporate fraud to regulatory investigations.
- Voon Jiet is praised “for his work in competition and regulatory investigations where he is known as an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Dispute Resolution 2018 – Recommended Lawyer
- "Quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives"
Who’s Who Legal
Telecommunications Media & Technology 2016: Telecommunications & Media – Leading Lawyer
Global Investigations Review 100 (GIR 100) 5th edition (2019)
Recognised as a leading individual for investigations. The GIR 100 identifies top 100 firms worldwide that handle complex cross-border government-led and internal investigations.
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2015 – Listed lawyer
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, SIAC Panel of Arbitrators
- Member, Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Criminal Law Advisory Committee (Hearing)
- Member, Professional Values Chapter of the Singapore Academy of Law Professional Affairs Committee (2010 - 2012)
- Co-author for Singapore Academy of Law Annual Review on Civil Procedure
- Author of the “Sale of Goods” chapter in Law Relating to Specific Contracts in Singapore (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)
- Co-author of the “Investigations, Enforcement and Rights of Private Action” chapter in Competition Law and Policy in Singapore (Academy Publishing, 2009 and 2015)
- Co-author of the “Interlocutory Injunctions” chapter in Commercial Litigation in Singapore (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)