- Ateneo de Manila University, Juris Doctor (1992)
- Ateneo de Manila University, B.S. Legal Management (1988)
- Admission to bar (1993)
Eduardo specializes in the practice of Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
As head of Martinez Vergara & Gonzalez Sociedad's Dispute Resolution Group, Eduardo assists clients in civil, criminal, and commercial litigation, both in the original and appellate levels.
Eduardo is actively involved in MVGS’s family law practice, having advised and represented clients on legal proceedings involving adoption, annulment of marriage, legal separation and other domestic relations cases.
Eduardo also has extensive experience in succession law practice, having handled proceedings relating to probate of will and intestate proceedings.
He is also involved in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) practice, and is an Appeals Court Mediator accredited by the Philippine Judicial Academy.
Prior to co-founding the firm’s predecessor Martinez & Mendoza in 2000, Eduardo was a partner in Castillo & Poblador, specializing in litigation, immigration, and intellectual property. He was also the Philippine delegate to the Intellectual Property Rights Training Course of the Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation, Tokyo, Japan, in 1998.
Eduardo is regular contributor to the Daily Tribune, a local newspaper of national circulation, where he has a column – the Anteroom.
- Acts as counsel to leading companies in various industries in the Philippines, on a wide variety of major disputes, ranging from insurance claims, real estate and corporate matters, collection cases, to crime and sports-related issues.
- Represented clients in cases involving real property, including complaints for annulment of transfer certificate of titles issued under the prevailing Torrens system of land registration and recovery of possession.
- Acted as counsel to a private company in an ad hoc arbitration proceeding against a government instrumentality for payments of supplied materials in relation to awarded contract packages for an infrastructure project.
- Acted as counsel to private clients in declarations of nullity petitions, legal separation cases, prosecution of offenses for violence against women and children, criminal cases, and medical malpractice cases.
Insolvency and Debt Restructuring
- Acted as counsel to a local creditor bank in the rehabilitation proceedings of a debtor company engaged in petroleum distribution in the Philippines.
- Acted as counsel to a secured creditor private company in initiating a forced conversion of a rehabilitation proceeding to a liquidation proceeding, including the eventual liquidation and distribution of remaining assets of the insolvent debtor company.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution - Leading individual for 2 consecutive years since 2020
Dispute Resolution - Recommended lawyer for 6 consecutive years since 2016
- ‘’Exceptional‘ practice head Eduardo Martinez is a specialist in family and private client law, advising on adoption, marriage annulment and other domestic relations cases, as well as probate of will and intestate proceedings. Martinez is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution and serves as an appeals court mediator.’
Asia Business Law Journal
Named Philippines Top 100 Lawyers in the A-List of Philippines’s Top 100 Lawyers for 2 consecutive years (2020 and 2021)
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Column writer of “Anteroom”, the Daily Tribune, 2018 – present.