Frederick Bonar Simanjuntak
Healthcare & Life Sciences
- LL.M., Widener University School of Law, Delaware (USA, 2007)
- S.H., Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung (IDN, 2004)
Frederick is an innovative and result-driven corporate & finance lawyer with more than 15 years of experience ensuring the legality of commercial transactions. His speciality is banking and finance and he has represented a number of major corporations in syndicated lending and project finance. His major transactions include representing an independent power producer in the financing of a power plant project related to the development of a new ultra-supercritical coal-fired plant with a power generation capacity of approximately 2 x 1000MW in central Java (up to USD 4.1 billion loan facilities). He also represents several tech finance corporations, a few of which are start ups which have developed into unicorn companies and one of them is a giant worldwide corporation in the payment system business.
In aircraft financing, Frederick has been advising his Middle East client on the lease and sale back of 8 Boeing (737-800)-aircraft to a major Indonesian aircraft operator. Advising his banking clients on regulatory and compliance issues and various cross border transactions has given Frederick unique experiences as a reliable banking and finance lawyer.
In M&A, Frederick has represented private equity clients in the acquisition of major cinemas in some countries in Asia and other clients in their acquisitions of certain wood pellet factories and palm oil and timber companies. Clients have praised Frederick as ’a very thoughtful attorney in ensuring the legality of the transactions with due consideration of the commercial interests of his clients’. Frederick has also established himself as one of the Indonesian lawyers preferred by Korean clients.
- Represented an independent power producer in the financing of a power plant project related to the development of a new ultra-supercritical coal-fired plant with a power generation capacity of approximately 2 x 1000MW in central java (up to USD 4.1 billion loan facilities).
- Represented a major leading bank in the UAE, through its Singapore branch in their: a) pre-export facility of USD 50 million to an Indonesian mining company; b) loan facility of USD 40 million to a contractor service company for mining business; and c) a transfer of loan facility of USD 60 million between Indonesian companies within the same group involving a pledge of listed shares.
- Represented a Bangkok-based bank in: a) their credit facilities of up to USD40 million to a prominent Indonesian company engaging in petrochemicals business; and b) several trade loan facilities and ISDA matters with Indonesian companies.
- Represented certain lenders in relation to the USD 300 million working capital credit facility to a prominent Indonesian company engaging in the smelter business.
- Represented a prominent Korean private equity in their acquisition of major cinemas in some Countries in Asia, including Indonesia, with the acquisition value of USD 286 million.
- Represented certain companies engaging in electricity business in their merger with one of the companies become the surviving company.
- Represented a prominent group of companies in Indonesia in their proposed acquisition of an certain Indonesia companies engaging in plantation business and joint venture with a prominent France based company.
- Represented a certain conglomerate in the group reorganization involving certain Indonesian companies engaging in plastic and ink business.
- Represented a prominent Korean based company engaging in automotive business in their major investments in Indonesia.
- Represented a prominent Australian corporation and EU companies in their healthcare businesses in Indonesia.
- Member, The Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
- Member, The Capital Market Legal Consultants Association (HKHPM)
- Author of “Aircraft Finance and Leasing in Indonesia”, Asian-mena Counsel In-House Community, 2020
- Author of “Indonesian Government Relaxes Foreign Ownership Restrictions in Certain Business Sectors”, Asian Legal Business Magazine (Asia and China edition), 2016
- Author of “Indonesian Government Relaxes Foreign Ownership Restrictions in Certain Business Sectors”, Hong Kong Lawyer, 2016
- Author of “Acquisition of a Business in the Banking Sector in Indonesia”, Executiveview.com, 2010