Frederick Bonar Simanjuntak
Banking & Finance
Mergers & Acquisitions
Corporate and Commercial
- LL.M., Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware (USA, 2007)
- S.H., Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung, Indonesia, 2004
Frederick is an innovative and result-driven corporate & finance lawyer with more than 15 years of experience in safeguarding the legality of commercial transactions. In banking and finance practice, he has represented major corporations in syndicated lending and project finance. Notably, he has successfully managed project finance for two of Indonesia’s largest power projects. He also advises creditors and lessors in aircraft financing for major Indonesian aircraft operators.
Among Frederick’s impressive list of clienteles are several tech finance corporations, including start-ups that have achieved unicorn status, as well as globally recognised giant in the payment system business. Advising his banking clients on a broad range of regulatory and compliance issues, as well as cross-border transactions, Frederick has become one of Indonesia’s most experienced and reliable banking and finance lawyers.
Frederick’s proficiency extends to merger and acquisition transactions, where he represents buyers, sellers, public and private companies, private equity firms, and finance institutions. He has delivered expert advice and oversight in significant corporate transactions, such as the acquisitions of listed companies and finance institutions, wood pellet factories, palm oil and timber enterprises, and carbon credit assets within Indonesia. He also advises on the competition aspects and represents clients in the merger filing of the transactions.
Clients have praised Frederick as “a very thoughtful attorney” for ensuring the legality of transactions with due consideration of their commercial interests.
- Represented an independent power producer in the financing of a power plant project related to the development of a new ultra-supercritical coal-fired plant with a power generation capacity of approximately 2 x 1000MW in central java (up to USD 4.1 billion loan facilities).
- Represented a major leading bank in the UAE, through its Singapore branch in their: a) pre-export facility of USD 50 million to an Indonesian mining company; b) loan facility of USD 40 million to a contractor service company for mining business; and c) a transfer of loan facility of USD 60 million between Indonesian companies within the same group involving a pledge of listed shares.
- Represented a Bangkok-based bank in: a) their credit facilities of up to USD40 million to a prominent Indonesian company engaging in petrochemicals business; and b) several trade loan facilities and ISDA matters with Indonesian companies.
- Represented certain lenders in relation to the USD 300 million working capital credit facility to a prominent Indonesian company engaging in the smelter business.
- Represented a prominent Korean private equity in their acquisition of major cinemas in some Countries in Asia, including Indonesia, with the acquisition value of USD 286 million.
- Represented certain companies engaging in electricity business in their merger with one of the companies become the surviving company.
- Represented a prominent group of companies in Indonesia in their proposed acquisition of an certain Indonesia companies engaging in plantation business and joint venture with a prominent France based company.
- Represented a certain conglomerate in the group reorganization involving certain Indonesian companies engaging in plastic and ink business.
- Represented a prominent Korean based company engaging in automotive business in their major investments in Indonesia.
- Represented a prominent Australian corporation and EU companies in their healthcare businesses in Indonesia.
The Legal 500
Recognised as a Recommended Lawyer in Capital Markets in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2022-2023
Recognised as a notable Practitioner Lawyer in M&A by IFLR1000 2023
Asia Business Law Journal
Top 50 Future Legal Leaders in Indonesia 2023
Asia Legal Business
Finalist, Dealmaker of the Year, ALB Indonesia Law Awards 2023
40 Under 40 Lawyer List 2020
- Member of the Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
- The Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- The Capital Market Legal Consultants Association (HKHPM)
- Author of Chambers Asia-Pacific 2023 - Practice Area Overview Guidelines. Indonesia: Banking & Finance 2023
- Author of “Lending & Secured Finance”, The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides: Indonesia, 2022
- Author of “Aircraft Finance and Leasing in Indonesia”, Asian-mena Counsel In-House Community, 2020
- Author of “Indonesian Government Relaxes Foreign Ownership Restrictions in Certain Business Sectors”, Asian Legal Business Magazine (Asia and China edition), 2016
- Author of “Indonesian Government Relaxes Foreign Ownership Restrictions in Certain Business Sectors”, Hong Kong Lawyer, 2016
- Author of “Acquisition of a Business in the Banking Sector in Indonesia”, Executiveview.com, 2010