Our lawyers have specialised experience in advising companies, financial institutions, manufacturers, dealership groups and engineering companies on the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious maritime, aviation and automotive matters.
We work closely with our other lawyers in the energy, construction, commodities and technology sectors to provide integrated and in-depth advice.
Our lawyers are fluent in all the major languages commonly used in the region, including English, Malay, Bahasa, Mandarin and Hindi.
Some of the significant contentious and non-contentious matters our lawyers have handled include:
- Acted for WBL Corporation Limited (WBL), in the proposed disposal of its automotive sales division to StarChase Motorsports (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (StarChase) at an enterprise value of S$455 million. WBL is a subsidiary of United Engineers Limited, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, while StarChase is an entity associated with the Samling Group, a Malaysian conglomerate.
- Represented a Norwegian MNC in two arbitrations seated in Singapore arising out of an accident in the South China Sea. The dispute involved issues of seaworthiness of vessels, obligations under Chinese law, Swiss law and the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea 1974.
- Represented the Administrator for Malaysian Airline System Berhad in (1) the handling of the compensation for the next of kin of flight crew and crew members arising from the disappearance of MH370 on 8th March 2014 and (2) all claims brought by the next of kin of flight crew and crew members for compensation arising from the crash of MH17 on 17th July 2014.
- Represented Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd in relation to the compulsory acquisition of the Ampang Park Shopping Centre, the first shopping complex in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, to facilitate the construction of the Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (‘MRT’) Project Line 2. The proposed Ampang Park MRT station is intended to facilitate interconnectivity between MRT Line 2 and the existing Kelana Jaya LRT Line.
- Represented CMA CGM in legal proceedings brought against a major fleet bunker supplier in this region. In aid of the claim, obtained and enforced Anton Pillar and Mareva injunction Orders. First case of an Anton Pillar Order being enforced and executed simultaneously against 6 sea going vessels and its crew. Subsequently, evidence obtained from a digital forensic examination of data secured from the Anton Pillar raids aided the client to bring its multimillion-dollar claim to a satisfactory close.
- Represented an owner in an international arbitration brought by the owner of a luxury yacht against its shipyard. A panel of 3 arbitrators conducted the arbitration pursuant to the International Maritime Arbitration Rules (ICC-CMI). The arbitration was heard in Paris, France.
- Represented CIT Group in relation to aircraft leasing, deregistration of aircraft including various advisory services in relation to aviation regulatory industry, and repossession of aircraft in the custody of the National Transportation Safety Commission of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Represented Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) Ltd. in the leasing of aircraft to PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero)
Mahesh RaiDeputy Head, Construction & Engineering / Director, Dispute Resolution
Jonathan YapAssociate Director, Dispute Resolution
Yohanes MasengiPartner / General Corporate / Private Wealth / Healthcare & Science / Transportation
Frederick Bonar SimanjuntakPartner / General Corporate / Private Wealth / Healthcare & Life Sciences / Transportation
Rajasingam GothandapaniPartner / Head, Shipping & Maritime / Dispute Resolution / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Land Acquisition & Town and Country Planning / Crime / Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
Lai Wai FongPartner, Dispute Resolution
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Shipping 2018 - Tier 2
Infrastructure 2020 – Recommended firm for 2 consecutive years
IFLR Asia Awards 2016
Restructuring Deal of the Year – The Restructuring of PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Infrastructure 2019 to 2020 – Outstanding firm for 2 consecutive years
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Aviation 2020 - Tier 2
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore Co.
Aviation and Shipping 2019 to 2020 – Highly Recommended
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Shipping 2019 and 2020
Rajasingam Gothandapani – Leading Individual
Shipping 2010 to 2020
Rajasingam Gothandapani – Leaders in their Field