- LLB and B. Com, University of Melbourne (AUS, 1986)
Hilton is one of Indonesia’s most experienced foreign legal consultants, and has practised in Indonesia for over 30 years, of which 8 years was spent as General Counsel of a diversified Indonesian investment group.
Hilton’s practice primarily focuses on investment and M&A transactions, with deep experience in energy, minerals and infrastructure projects. He has acted on a wide range of matters: joint ventures, M&A, distribution and licensing, insurance and NBFIs, realty and construction, representing both foreign and Indonesian investors.
In the energy sector, Hilton has represented several IPPs through the development phase and in operations, and through restructurings with PLN and lenders following the ASEAN economic crisis. And he has handled several electricity and mining company acquisitions and financings.
Hilton has acted for successful bidders (e.g. P&O Ports) on Indonesian Government privatizations. In recent years highlights of Hilton’s practice have included: PT Freeport Indonesia’s copper smelter under development in East Java, the 2020 US$1.2 billion acquisition of PT Softex Indonesia by Kimberly-Clark Corp., the Paiton Energy US$ 2 billion bond issue and enhanced term loan, and the sale by Ferro of its tiles coating subsidiaries to Lone Star.
Clients Hilton has represented include:
General Electric, Freeport Indonesia, BHP Billiton, Mitsubishi Corporation, Marubeni Corporation, Bluescope Steel, BOC Group, Leightons Indonesia, P&O Group (Ports and other), Duke Energy, El Paso Corporation, Itochu Corporation, BAT, Eli Lilly, Glaxo SmithKline, Taisho Pharmaceutical, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, BAE Systems, J Power, JBIC, Sinosure, ACE Insurance, Sompo Insurance, VISA, CEVA / TNT Logistics, Linfox, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Ramsay Health Care, Lufthansa Systems, Sampoerna Strategic, Singapore Telecommunications Limited, Halliburton, KBR, Rolls Royce, Ferro Corporation, AEC, Stone & Webster.
- Represented Kimberly-Clark Corporation in its 2020 US$ 1.2 billion indirect acquisition of PT Softex Indonesia, (a leader in Indonesia’s fast-growing personal care market), from a group of shareholders including CVC Capital Partners Asia Pacific IV.
- Represented PT Freeport Indonesia is developing a copper smelter (with processing capacity of up to 2 million tons per year) and precious metals refinery in East Java. The project (copper smelter and precious metals refinery) once complete, will be multi-faceted with the site lease, construction, oxygen plant, wharf development, and power supply.
- Represented PT. Paiton Energy, with respect to its USD 2 Billion bond issue and USD 750 Million enhanced term loan in 2017.
- Represented Ferro Corporation in the 2020 sale of its Indonesian tiles coating subsidiaries to Lone Star Polyone Corporation (since renamed Avient) in its 2020 purchase of the Indonesian subsidiaries of Clariant’s color masterbatch business Cirebon Electric Power, the preferred bidder for the Cirebon IPP, the first of the new generation IPPs, the bidder consortium comprising of Marubeni, Korean Midland Power Co.Ltd., PT. Tripatra Constructors and Engineers, and Samtan Co. Ltd.
- Various other IPP projects including Sengkang (combined cycle), Salak and Wayang Windu geothermal projects – including development, restructurings, and bond issues, TEPCO acquisition into Paiton 1.
- Legal Secretary, The Board of Trustees of the British International School, Jakarta
- Honorary Legal Advisor, The British Ambassador to Indonesia
- Author of “Indonesia – Draft Bill on Oil & Gas Sector Deregulation”, International Oil & Gas Finance Review (Euromoney), 2000
- Author of “IPPs in Indonesia – More twists and turns”, Project Finance International Year book (Thomson Financial), 2000
- Author of “Joint Ventures – Indonesia, Invest in Indonesia”, Asia Law & Practice (Euromoney Publications), 1997
- Author of “Joint Ventures, International Financial Law Review” (Euromoney Publications), 1991