Lim Chong Kin
Managing Director, Corporate & Finance
Head, Competition, Consumer & Regulatory
Head, Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)
Head, Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
- LL.M., National University of Singapore
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (1996)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (1999)
Chong Kin is Managing Director of Drew & Napier’s Corporate & Finance Department. He also heads the Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT), Competition & Data Protection & Cybersecurity Practice Groups.
Chong Kin practises corporate and commercial law with strong emphasis in the specialist areas of TMT. He founded the firm’s Data Protection & Cyber-Security Practice, which has been rated as one of the best by GDR100. Chong Kin also heads the firm’s Competition, Consumer and Regulatory Practice, which has been nominated as the leading antitrust firm in Singapore for six years by Asian-Counsel's survey (Representing Corporate Asia).
Chong Kin has played a key role in the development of sectoral competition regulation in Singapore, in particular, in the telecommunications, media and postal industries. Since 1999, he routinely advises the sectoral competition regulators on liberalisation, market access, licensing, competition regulation, merger reviews and enforcement issues, including successfully defending the regulators in various Ministerial appeals. He was also external counsel to the data protection commission in setting up the framework and in enforcing cases. MNCs often rely on Chong Kin to guide them in navigating the diverse and intricate regulatory frameworks in ASEAN, where his expertise, knowledge and network contacts shine.
Chong Kin has consistently been recommended as a leading lawyer by major international legal publications such as The Asia Pacific Legal 500, Global Competition Review, Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Guide to the World's Leading Competition & Antitrust Lawyers/Economists, Who’s Who Legal, Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?, Asialaw Leading Lawyer and Best Lawyers. He is also highly regarded by his peers, clients and rivals alike for his expertise. The practices that Chong Kin heads have also been widely recognised as leading practices in Singapore.
Here are some notable matters handled by Chong Kin:
Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Assisted the TMT Regulator in a comprehensive review of its legal and regulatory frameworks, as well as drafting and implementing the resulting converged competition code for the telecommunications and media industries.
- Assisted the TMT Regulator in the award, licensing and regulation to ensure the successful roll-out of 5G networks and mobile services.
- Assisted in the landing of submarine cables to Singapore and the region, as well as the establishment of data centre facilities and obtaining relevant licensing and regulatory approvals.
- Assisted leading technology conglomerates in shifting their global or regional operations to Singapore, including obtaining licensing and regulatory approvals.
Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Assisted the data protection commission on legal issues arising from the development of a certification scheme which allows certified organisations to exchange personal data with certified organisations in participating APEC economies.
- Assisted the data protection commission in enforcing difficult and novel cases, including a “large scale” cyberattack on a government-related organisation’s database system.
- Assisting clients on data breach management including notification to the PDPC resulting from hacking and ransomware attacks.
Competition, Consumer and Regulatory
- Assisted MNCs in merger filings and market inquiries by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore.
- Assisting global clients in filing leniency applications in Singapore and successfully getting the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore to “drop” the investigation.
Corporate and Commercial
- Advised IronNet Cybersecurity, Inc. on all Singapore law matters in relation to its joint venture with Ensign InfoSecurity, and its entry into Singapore. The deal won the TMT Deal of the Year at the 2020 Asia Legal Awards.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Antitrust and Competition 2021 – Leading Individual for 5 consecutive years
Employment 2021 – Recommended Individual; Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years (2016-2019)
TMT 2021 – Hall of Fame for 2 consecutive years; Leading Individual for 9 consecutive years (2012-2020)
- ‘offers very pragmatic and practical advice’
- ‘is a genuine subject matter expert [in TMT] and is also remarkably responsive and friendly’
- ‘fantastic’ and ‘deserve strong recognition for their client focus’
- “excellent legal knowledge and in-depth understanding of the regulator”
- “understands regulatory thinking like no other lawyer in the field”
- “Practice head Lim Chong Kin wins plaudits for ‘consistent, well-balanced advice and practical solutions’.”
Competition/Antitrust 2020 – Band 1 Leading Individual for 7 consecutive years
TMT 2020 – Band 1 Leading Individual for 13 consecutive years
- "a very impressive practitioner"
- "a leader in this space [TMT]; his advice is both thorough and attuned to the regulator's intentions, which is really helpful."
- "… provides excellent practical, pithy and timely advice."
- "commercially savvy and experienced lawyer."
- "incisive, insightful and knowledgeable."
- "clever, able, bright and estimable man; he is terrific”
- "he's really exceptional - he has the pragmatism, he's plugged-in, and he gives solid, clear advice."
- "He is an expert in telecoms and he has demonstrated his expertise and experience in every query and goal that I have forwarded."
- "Provides practical solutions to unlock opportunities in the business, rather than risk-averse legal advice."
- “Clients particularly highlight his outstanding insight and succinct legal analysis, while one peer commented: ‘You cannot ask for a better collaborator than him.’”
- "…an outstanding lawyer who is savvy, intelligent and quick, and possesses excellent business judgement.”
Global Competition Review
- “Antitrust specialist Lim Chong Kin is well known for his telecommunications, media and technology practice, and rivals say he combines the two practices flawlessly.”
The Guide to the World's Leading Competition & Antitrust Lawyers/Economists
Competition & Antitrust 2016 - Leading Antitrust Lawyer in Singapore.
- "…one of the outstanding practitioners in this field…"
Competition & Antitrust 2021 – Outstanding practice for 8 consecutive years
Technology & Telecommunications 2021 – Outstanding practice for 8 consecutive years
- “Breadth and depth of subject matter knowledge.”
- “‘He’s provided excellent client service and demonstrated depth of knowledge. Always responsive and available for ad hoc assistance,’ comments one client. ”
- “He is a competent, professional and experienced legal adviser. It is not often that heads of department personally do the work for a client…”
- “Clients praise the TMT practice, which is headed by Lim Chong Kin. ‘Their TMT team is superb and knowledgeable,’ says a client, with Lim singled out for praise: ‘Lim Chong Kim’s work is consistently exceptional.’”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Competition & Antitrust 2021 – Elite Practitioner
Technology & Telecommunications 2021 – Elite Practitioner
Who’s Who Legal
Competition 2019/20 - Leading Lawyer for 13 consecutive years
Data (IT, Telecoms & Media) 2019/20 - Leading Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Telecommunications, Media & Technology 2014-2017 - Leading Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Regulatory Communications 2013 – Leading Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
- “Chong Kin Lim is a ‘true leader at the Singaporean competition bar’, say sources, who note his ‘fine sense for how to navigate the enforcement regime’.”
- “Chong Kin Lim is highly sought-after by clients across the IT sector who commend his great ability to ‘brilliantly resolve complex matters’.”
- “Chong Kin Lim is held in high esteem by sources thanks to his adept handling of competition-related matters across the telecoms and media sector.”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Competition/Antitrust 2021 – Endorsed individual for 10 consecutive years
Media Law 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Regulatory Practice 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Telecommunications Law 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Telecommunications Lawyer of the Year Singapore 2020
Asia IP Experts 2016
Leading individual in IT & Telecoms, Media & entertainment
Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?
Competition/Antitrust and TMT 2012 – Endorsed individual
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Pacific Telecommunications Council
- Associate member, American Bar Association
- Bull, Lim and Whish, Competition Law and Policy in Singapore (Academy Publishing, 2009)
- Hwang and Yeo, Law Relating to Specific Contracts in Singapore, (Thomson, Sweet & Maxwell, 2008), Chapter 5
- Singapore Chapter on Merger Control, Getting the Deal Through 2009 – 2020 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter on Cartel Regulation, Getting the Deal Through 2011 – 2019 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter on Dominance, Getting the Deal Through 2016 – 2020 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter on Merger Control 2012 – 2020, International Comparative Legal Guide (The Global Legal Group)
- Singapore Chapter on Cartels & Leniency 2012 – 2019, International Comparative Legal Guide (The Global Legal Group)
- Overview of the Singapore Telecoms and Media Regulatory Framework, Getting the Deal Through 2008 – 2019 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter on Telecoms, Media & Internet 2019 – 2020, International Comparative Legal Guide (The Global Legal Group
- All Things Not Being Equal, Asian MENA Counsel Vol 9 Issue 7 2011
- Singapore Competition Law Update, The Asia-Pacific Antitrust Review 2008 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter of the American Bar Association International Antitrust Law Committee Year-in-Review 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Counting on Competition, Asian Counsel Vol 7 Issue 9 November 2009 – In Antitrust we trust?
- Lim and Ng, Your Country Guide to ASEAN Competition Law (Drew & Napier LLC, 2008 – 2017 (1st to 5th editions)
- Singapore Chapter on Merger Control 2011 (First Edition), 2014 (Second Edition), 2017 (Third Edition), The European Lawyer Reference Series – Jurisdictional Comparisons (The European Lawyer)
- Merger Notifications in Singapore: Information Requirements, International Antitrust Committee: The Newsletter, Summer 2013
- Singapore Chapter on Data Protection & Privacy, Getting the Deal Through 2014 – 2020 (Global Competition Review)
- Singapore Chapter on Cybersecurity, Getting the Deal Through 2020 (Global Competition Review)
- Lim and Ng, The International Encyclopaedia of Laws, Competition Law - Singapore (Kluwer Law International, 2013)