Rahayu Ningsih Hoed
Arbitration & litigation
Investigation & Crisis Management
- University Diploma in Taste, Gastronomy and Arts de la Table (DUGGAT), Université de Reims (FRA, 2017)
- LL.M. (Outstanding Student Award), Boston University (USA, 2001)
- S.H., (Best Student Award), Universitas Pancasila (IDN, 1996)
- S.S., (Best Student Award), Universitas Indonesia (IDN, 1985)
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed has been with Makarim & Taira S for more than 30 years rendering her the most senior partner at the firm. She has extensive experience in almost every aspect of legal practice due to her background as journalist and paralegal and is a widely recognized authority on corporate and M&A transactions, arbitration, employment, and project financing. Praise for Yayuk’s advice from clients include: “incredible, extremely well-considered advice”, “ensuring that deals always involve remarkable levels of risk management.”
Rahayu has represented many major multinationals companies such as Sumitomo Corporation, Halliburton, Marubeni Corporation, Shell, GAP Inc, Kellog Brown & Root and more. Her achievements include project financing for the 1,320MW large capacity Tanjung Jati B power plant and its expansions, major land acquisitions for infrastructure and mining projects, and highly sensitive mass terminations of employees. Her expertise is recognized in several legal directories such as Chambers and Partners as a Key Individual for Dispute Resolutions and Real Estate and Legal500 as a Leading Individual for Corporate and M&A, Employment, Projects and Energy and Real Estate. Asialaw Profiles has also selected her as Elite Practioner and IFLR1000 has also ranked her Highly Regarded lawyer.
- Represented PT Bhumi Jati Power (the project company) in relation to the development of the Tanjung Jati 5 & 6 (Jawa-4) expansion (2 x 1000 MW power plants)
- Represented PT Cirebon Energi Prasarana (the project company) in relation to the development of the Cirebon expansion Jawa-1 (1000 MW power plant)
- Represented PT Shell Indonesia in relations to various legal matters
- Represented Reliance Power Netherlands B.V. with regards to regulatory issues on coal mining and transportation infrastructure
- Represented PT. Krakatau Steel with regards to EPC contract for Blast Furnace and queries of China Development Bank
- Represented Sumitomo Corporation in relations to gas importation and feasibility study on FSRU project, including structuring the transaction
- Represented PT Cikarang Listrindo in relations to various legal matters including gas supply and gas transportation agreement
- Represented Consortium Marubeni consisting of YTL Corporation, Chubu Electric Power Company, Kyushu Electric Power Company and Tri Patra Engineering on the international bid for the procurement of 2 x 1000 MW Central Jawa coal-fired power plants in Batang, Central Java
- Due diligence and advisory work in the acquisition of majority stake in two geothermal projects from PT Supreme Indonesia for GDF Suez and Sumitomo Corporation
- Represented Sumitomo Corporation in relation to various issues in geothermal matters
- Represented Crown Group in the development of mixed use property project in North Jakarta.
- Represented PT Central Java Power/Sumitomo Subsidiary on acquisition of approximately 70 hectares land area in Tubanan Village, Central Java for constructing additional ash pond area of Tanjung Jati B power plant involving various legal matters including inheritance dispute
- Represented a large property developer in the lease agreement for major tenants in a mixed-use property project in South Jakarta
- Represented Sumitomo for acquiring land for Power Plan Project – Tanjung Jati B Power Plant Project (2 x 660 MW) (Sumitomo Corporation) about ±150 hectares involving various legal matters including inheritance dispute
- Represented Cirebon Electric Power on land matters involving various legal matters including inheritance dispute
- Represented Ramsay International Hospital for acquiring land and building for the expansion of the hospital
- Represented various embassies (Italian Embassy, Kuwait Embassy, Australian Embassy and Qatar Embassy) involving various legal matters including inheritance disputes
Dispute Resolution & Litigation
- Represented a power plant company, in a claim filed by a third party in the state administrative court in order to have one of the Client’s licenses revoked. This was highly impactful to the Client’s business and became precedent.
- Represented a Malaysian company with core activities of developing, marketing, manufacturing and production support of high technology automation systems for the semiconductor backend and carrier tape industries in a dispute against its purchaser (the Indonesian Company) which supplied the Government of Indonesia of smart card ID The disputes have been referred to Indonesian and Malaysian courts.
- Represented a ship equipment company in Civil Case filed by a third party pertaining to the property used as its factory.
- Represented the biggest steel state-owned company in relation to its potential dispute with its EPC Contractor for the Blast Furnace Project. The legal advice is related to possible arguments for claim and defense related to the potential arbitration proceedings between the Client and its EPC Contractor.
- Being Indonesian counsel of one of the biggest and major Japanese companies in SIAC arbitration proceedings related to the construction dispute. The Client is acting as the Respondent and its subcontractor is acting as the Claimant.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Corporate/M&A, Projects & Energy, Employment, and Real Estate 2014 - 2020 – Leading Individual for 7 consecutive years
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
M&A, Project Development, and Project Finance 2017 - 2020 – Highly Regarded for 4 consecutive years
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Top 100 Women in Litigation and Litigation Star 2020 – Listed lawyer
Corporate/M&A 2017 - 2020 – Elite Practitioner for 4 consecutive years
Corporate/M&A and Dispute Resolution & Litigation 2017 – Market-Leading Lawyer
Asia Business Law Journal
The A-list – Indonesia’s Top 100 Lawyers 2017 - 2020 – Listed lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Projects and Energy 2017 - 2020 – Band 2 for 4 consecutive years
Projects and Energy 2017 - 2020 – Band 2 for 4 consecutive years
Real Estate 2017 - 2020 – Band 2 for 4 consecutive years
- Member, The International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, The International Chamber of Commerce (ICI)
- Member, The Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI)
- Member, The Indonesian Translator Association (HPI)
- Co-author of Chambers Global Practice Guide Template Real Estate 2020.
- Co-author of Benchmarking Public Procurement 2016: Assessing Public Procurement Systems in 77 Economies (Indonesia), World Bank Group, 2015
- Co-author of Global Legal Insights to Commercial Real Estate: The Indonesia Chapter, Global Legal Group, 2015
- Co-author of Journal of the International Institute for Law and Medicine 2014: Distribution of Imported Pharmaceuticals in Indonesia, Yorkhill Law Publishing, 2014