Associate Director, Dispute Resolution
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2017)
Wilson is a disputes lawyer with a focus on complex commercial disputes. His practice covers a broad range of advocacy and advisory work, with particular experience in high-stakes international disputes involving joint ventures, engineering/construction and financial institutions.
Wilson has acted for and advised clients from across Asia, including Singapore, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea, and Brunei. His clients include investment funds, government linked companies, public listed companies, and ultra-high net worth individuals. He also serves as a legal advisor in the military reserve and has represented a legally aided person in Court on a pro bono basis.
In addition to appearing in Court, Wilson has represented clients in international arbitrations under the ICC, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules and served as tribunal secretary in ICC and SIAC arbitrations. He is a sub-committee member at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has been a member of the Young SIAC since 2015. He has been published in the Journal of International Arbitration and has also written an award-winning essay in a competition organised by the SIAC. He received his LLB degree from the National University of Singapore and was trained by one of the top Senior Counsel in Singapore.
Some of the matters that Wilson has worked on include:
- Representing an Asian company in a dispute relating to technology licensing for automotive components. The components are supplied to major car manufacturers internationally. Wilson delivered the oral arguments at two contentious hearings opposed by King’s Counsel.
- Successfully overturned a High Court decision in Ma Binxiang v Hainan Hui Bang Construction Investment Group Ltd.  SGHC(A) 37. Very few appeals to the Appellate Division of the High Court are successful but this decision is a timely reminder on the correct approach to applying the civil standard of proof, and is a successful example in showing the appellate court’s willingness to overturn a trial judge’s factual findings under special circumstances. Wilson delivered the oral arguments for several issues.
- Successfully represented an Asian steel producer against a global supplier of steel plants with claims in excess of US$100 million. The matter raised complex factual and expert evidence involving misrepresentations over novel technology.
- Successfully represented a state-owned telecommunications company in defeating claims of more than US$100 million concerning a joint venture in Asia for the provision of 3G mobile services.
- Advised an international sports marketing agency on various matters involving billions of rights revenues under a master rights agreement for advertising, media and commercial rights for major sporting events.
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
“Wilson is highly composed even in the most adverse of situations and is a lawyer you want in your corner. He is also very clinical and prompt in the delivery of legal advice and we enjoyed working with him tremendously".
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Author, “Think Quality Not Quantity: Repeat Appointments and Arbitrator Challenges”, 34(4) Journal of International Arbitration 711 (2017).
- Wilson is also the author of an award-winning essay at the Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre (YSIAC) Essay Competition 2018 on the topic “Can or Should Parties Waive the Right to Set Aside an Award?”