Director, Dispute Resolution
Co-Head, Criminal Law Practice
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore, 1997
- Gazetted as Deputy Public Prosecutor/ State Counsel
- Attorney-General’s Chambers, Singapore, 1997-2000
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore Solicitor, England & Wales, 2002
Wendell is a highly respected civil, commercial and criminal lawyer. His civil and commercial practice includes contracts and commercial disputes, shareholder and director disputes, asset recovery, medical negligence, product liability and cross-border arbitration work. His criminal practice focuses on commercial and business crime, fraud, securities, corruption, corporate governance related offences and investigation work.
Wendell regularly engages in regulatory and compliance advisory work including anti-fraud and anti-bribery investigations work for multinational and listed companies. He is on the panel of lawyers representing various embassies in Singapore, including those of the United States of America and Qatar.
Wendell is an experienced arbitration counsel who has acted as lead counsel in numerous disputes and international arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre ("SIAC"), International Chamber of Commerce ("ICC") and United Nations Commission on International Trade Law ("UNCITRAL"). Wendell has also acted as lead counsel in the Singapore International Commercial Court ("SICC") in a landmark securities law case related to ISDA Master Agreement Long Form Confirmation under English Law.
Chambers Global ranks Wendell as a leading practitioner in dispute resolution and commends his regional work related to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA"). Chambers Global describes him as renowned for his developed understanding of the Indonesian legal system. The Asia Pacific Legal 500 also ranks Wendell high in the area of dispute resolution. Who’s Who Legal recognises Wendell as one of the top Business Crime Defence and Investigations lawyers in Singapore. Wendell is also listed as Who’s Who Legal Thought Leader in Investigations 2019.
- Successfully represented Asia Pulp & Paper ("APP") in the then largest debt restructuring in the world exceeding US$16 billion and related US securities action (including dealings with the US Securities Exchange Commission), bondholders and class action litigation and investigations in jurisdictions including Indonesia, Singapore, New York, California, various other parts of the US, Canada and Bermuda. The APP group has more than 150 companies worldwide including U.S., Canada, China, India, Indonesia and Singapore.
- Represented Zhong Jun Resources Pte Ltd in a claim brought by creditors in relation to allegations involving multi-billion dollars’ worth of commodities stock related fraud in Qingdao warehouse(s) (“Qingdao Fraud”).
- Successfully defended the former CEO of Crimson Logic Pte Ltd in what was termed by the media as a ‘rare acquittal in a commercial crime case’ involving alleged commercial corruption with the trial having spanned some 60 hearing days in court over 10 months.
- Secured an acquittal for a senior lawyer, who is also a former independent director of Singapore-listed company, Airocean, in a landmark decision by the former Chief Justice regarding landmark decision on corporate disclosure obligations under listing rules and securities law.
- Successfully argued a landmark product liability suit at trial and before the Court of Appeal for actress, Andrea De Cruz, against importers and distributors of Slim 10 slimming pills.
- Successfully argued a complex trust lawsuit involving family arrangements of oral trusts with trust assets in excess of S$60 million.
- Represented North American company in cross-border arbitration oil and gas dispute with Indonesian JV partner over participation rights in Indonesia. Value of dispute estimated in excess of US$450 million.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in a distributorship dispute with an Indonesian counterpart with proceedings in Indonesia and Singapore. Estimated value of dispute in excess of US$10 million
- Representing an overseas casino in an asset recovery and tracing claim against a claim an individual for funds received pursuant to cheque payments arising from forged signatures.
- Successfully defended the former CEO of Crimson Logic Pte Ltd in what was termed by the media as a ‘rare acquittal in a commercial crime case’ involving alleged commercial corruption which spanned some 60 hearing days in court over 10 months
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 edition
Corporate Investigations / Anti-Corruption: Domestic – Recognised Practitioner (debut)
Chambers Global 2015
Indonesia: Dispute Resolution (International Firms) (Experts Based Abroad) – Indonesia – Band 2
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration – Singapore (Foreign Experts) - Indonesia
- “Wendell Wong is highlighted for his cross-border arbitration work, and is well known for handling commercial disputes relating to the energy and natural resources sectors.”
- “Wendell Wong regularly tackles cross-border matters, particularly in arbitrations relating to Indonesia. His broad practice spans both civil and criminal law.”
- “Wendell Wong is renowned for his developed understanding of the Indonesian legal system.”
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 3 consecutive years
- Sources say Wendell is “a natural leader, meticulous listener, excellent negotiator, with top-notch client centric work ethics and excellent business sense.”
- ‘noted for headline commercial and white-collar crime cases’
- a ‘strong and well respected advocate’, who is praised for his ‘practical approach’ and ‘partnership’ with the client
- “Rising star Wendell Wong is commended for his sound strategy and responsiveness.”
- “Wendell Wong is diligent, sound in judgment and pragmatic in approach.”
Who’s Who Legal
Investigations 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 7 consecutive years
Business Crime Defence 2019 - Recommended lawyer for 7 consecutive years (Individuals and Corporates chapters)
- Wendell Wong is well regarded for his "focus on financial crime" and garners respect for his work in international investigations
- “Recognised for his ‘practical and smart’ approach to investigations, and is commended by sources for his ‘ability to anticipate regulators' concerns and find effective solutions’”
- “Wendell Wong is well known for his work in the criminal investigations space, covering anti-bribery and anti-fraud matters for major corporations.”
Global Investigations Review 100 (GIR 100) 5th edition (2019)
Recognised as a leading individual for investigations. The GIR 100 identifies top 100 firms worldwide that handle complex cross-border government-led and internal investigations.
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Criminal Defense – Endorsed individual for 2 consecutive years
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2020 edition
White Collar Crime – Dispute Resolution Star for 2 consecutive years
International Law Office
White Collar Crime – Recommended lawyer
- Non-Executive Independent Director, GSH Corporation Limited
- Member, Criminal Procedure Rules Committee, Singapore
- Member of Penal Code Review Committee 2018, Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Law
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Solicitor, England & Wales; Member of the Law Society of England & Wales
- Chairman, Criminal Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Enhanced Criminal Legal Aid Scheme Steering Committee, Singapore Academy of Law
- Non-Executive Independent Director, GSH Holdings Ltd (listed on Singapore Stock Exchange)
- Past Board Member, Law Society Pro Bono Services Limited
- Past Co-chairman, Legal Affairs Committee, American Chamber of Commerce, Singapore
- Panel member of US Embassy, Singapore’s list of attorneys
- Panel member of list of lawyers for Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands, Singapore
- Panel member of list of lawyers for Embassy of Sweden, Singapore
- List of lawyers for Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia, Singapore
- Panel Member, Lead Counsel, Supreme Court’s Legal Assistance Scheme for Capital Offences
- Panel of Counsel for Disciplinary Matters, Law Society of Singapore
- Membership Officer, International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Committee
- Regional Co-ordinator (Asia), International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Structured Criminal Settlements Sub-committee
- Member, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme, Law Society of Singapore
- Mentor, Criminal Legal Aid Fellowship, Law Society of Singapore
- Panel Member, Investigation and Disciplinary Panel, Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants
- Member, ASEAN Law Association
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Selection Panel, School of Law, SIM University
- Past member, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Past member, Business China, Singapore
- Immediate Past Advisor, Singapore Nightlife Business Association